Cecil's Horse Sanctuary is a small horse and pony sanctuary based in Hertfordshire.
We aim to relieve the suffering of horses and ponies, who may be old, neglected, abandoned or otherwise, in need of care and attention. We aim to provide and maintain rescue homes and other facilities for the care and treatment of such equines.
Founded in the early 2000's yard owner, Julie, rescued several horses who were either deaf, blind or unwanted.
In 2016, Cecil's Horse Sanctuary became a registered charity, caring for over 40 horses, ponies and mules!
RE-OPENING - 14th APRIL 2021
~ PLEASE CHECK OUR FACEBOOK PAGE FOR ANY UNEXPECTED CLOSURES ~
(due to bad weather or other unforeseen circumstances)
Sundays throughout the year
Wednesday/Friday - afternoon sessions (2pm and 2:45pm)
Please email for availability:
IMPORTANT INFORMATION – PLEASE READ:
1) Pre-booked sessions only, paid for in advance. There will be a limited number of people allowed for each session. Please do not arrive at the sanctuary without booking as you will not be able to enter the site. If you have a voucher, please show it at the start of your session (paper or electronically).
2) A slot is for one adult and one child only. We can accommodate adults – one adult per pony (unless with a carer)
3) The session will comprise of a grooming session with a pony, taking the pony for a walk around our woodland trail and a chance to see our other ponies and learn about their stories. If the woodland trail is too muddy, then we have an alternative area for the children to enjoy walking the ponies. There is no riding involved.
4) Please come suitably dressed – wellies are a must for adults and children as the woodland trail gets muddy and there are puddles to splash in!
The sessions (£10.50 for one adult and one child/£10.50 for an adult session) last approximately 45 minutes.
5) Bookings are subject to change due to the Covid-19 pandemic. If we have to close again due to national restrictions, your voucher will be valid for a time at which we are able to open again. People who have made new bookings will be issued with a voucher if we have to close due to Covid-19 restrictions.
6) We now have special rosettes available to purchase with your booking at the cost of £2 each. These will also be available to purchase after your session. Cash only – exact change appreciated!
Currently the sanctuary policy is one adult and one child per pony as the child's parent/carer needs to be able to fully supervise them so that the volunteers holding the ponies can socially distance in accordance with government guidelines.
If you feel unwell or have any of the symptoms of Covid-19, please DO NOT come on site.
Arrive promptly at your allocated time.
Please observe social distancing at all times – at least 1 metre space between you and any other visitors or volunteers is necessary at this time.
Please wear a face covering whilst on the site (aged 10 and over).
Sanitize your hands on arrival and departure.
Ideally bring gloves to wear and use them when handling the ponies
One adult and one child per pony (or one adult) – all children must remain with their adult at all times
If, for whatever reason, you need to cancel, 48 hours’ notice must be given or a £5 fee will be charged. If less than 24 hours’ notice is given, then the full fee will be charged.
When booking you are agreeing to all of our Terms and Conditions
We understand that these changes may change your visit to us, but we are complying with the measurements put in place by the Government to make the sanctuary a safe place for all. Please be respectful to our volunteers and remember that things are very different for everyone. We want you all to enjoy the wonderful sanctuary and love our ponies as much as we do. Once again, we hope that you enjoy your visit and that you and your family stay safe.
For further information, please email
Holiday Pony Sessions
Christmas Holiday Special
This year we are excited to announce some special sessions during the school holidays – ‘Walking in a Winter Wonderland’! Come and groom one of our ponies and take them for a walk through our woods – there will be a special winter/Christmas theme.
A session will include the chance to meet and groom one of our ponies, a walk around the woods leading your pony, a special certificate and rosette, and a small present from the ponies!
£15 a session
Please note that sponsorship pack vouchers cannot be used for these sessions.
Please email for further detail on:
Holiday Pony Sessions
During the school holidays we run pony sessions which will include a chance to groom a pony, take them for a walk and meet some of our other horses and ponies.
Next holiday sessions will be SUMMER 2021.
Please contact us nearer the time – no details have yet been finalised.
Please wear appropriate clothing for the weather and footwear suitable for going on to a field.
Address: Cecil’s Horse Sanctuary, Watford Rd, Elstree, Borehamwood WD6 3FE
You can park on the verge outside the double gates. There will be a sign on the verge.
THIS IS NOT OUR POSTAL ADDRESS – PLEASE DO NOT POST LETTERS/PARCELS TO THIS ADDRESS.
If you wish to send us something, then please message for our postal address.